Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Bros Before Saving Throws Ultimate Hobby Friendship Throwdown Weekend!

I don't think I have ever had so much fun in one weekend.  I took a trip to visit Jason and we gamed, ate, drank, and socialized for three days straight.  We gamed for hours.  There were numerous small battles amid the trenches and cities of unnamed worlds and we had a blast orchestrating them.  My brother came with me and he got in on the fun too with his Eldar.

I fielded both my small force of Astral Claws and the Minotaurs throughout the weekend, allied with and fighting against Jason's Red Scholars as the situations dictated.  There were so many cool moments and I rediscovered why I love this hobby so much.  Everything from having a lascanon snapfire hit an Eldar wraithlord to Jason's Centurion Devastators decimating whole squads in one devastating shooting phase.  It was nuts and I had an immense amount of fun.

I gotta give a shout out to the guys at Game Kastle in Freemont.  Jason and I played most of our games there and had a blast on a fantastically modeled trench table.  If you are ever in the area I suggest you check it out!  The staff were friendly and accommodating and I had so much fun I bought a Ravenwing Command Squad for my Astral Claws as a way of showing my appreciation.

Unfortunately I forgot my camera and so have nothing to show.  Jason took a few pictures here and there that he might share, but we having so much fun we didn't take many.

We also went to The Independent Characters Deepstrike event in San Jose.  We had ate german food, drank beer, and had an all around good time visiting with the IC guys and other listeners of their amazing podcast.  They are thoughtful, intelligent, and review an insane amount of 40K material.  If you've never checked it out give it a listen!



Here's a picture of us having a great time.  I am in the center excitedly waving my hands about while speaking with Justin of the IC crew.  Jason is faithfully at one side and my brother Hadi and his friend Walker at the other.  I don't remember what I'm yelling about but it's got me pretty excited! My favorite moment of the night was when an Ork player named Wayne, Jason, myself, and a few others were discussing how much fun it is to convert Ork vehicles.  Wayne then pulled a homemade grot tank out of his pocket and slammed it down on the table!  It blew my mind!  And the tank looked amazing!

The white elephant gift exchange was a ton of fun.  Both Justin and I brought Rouge Trader era Chaplains, mine eventually going to Carl of the IC crew.  I don't think he was unhappy about it as he lost a box of Space Hulk era Genstealers that my brother had brought! At one point I stole and old metal dreadnought and three of the worst assembled and painted Ultramarines I had ever seen.  Everyone was laughing so hard at them, one had his bolter pointing at the ground!  Another had theirs backwards, and all were covered in gobs of Ultramrine Blue Paint, even the face of one who had no helmet!  Woe hit me hard as I had them stolen from me, but I stole a box of new Nurglings that I walked away with.  Maybe I'll base and paint them up for fun and use them with my old Deathguard army or reinvigorate my old Nurgle Deamon force!

I really want to thank the IC guys for throwing the event, I have rarely had that much fun in one night!

After the event, Jason, Hadi, Walker and I went to walkers grandma's house to play a game!  I lost my mind again!  How perfectly cliché!  We could not stop laughing about it!   Maybe that's what I am yelling about in the above photo!  We played a team game with 500 points a side on a coffee table with household items as terrain!  It was so much fun!  Fortunately Walkers grandmother was not there so we didn't wake her up with our excited yelling!

I managed to finish Squad Nispul before I left, though I matte finished them in the Game Kastle parking lot right before our first game!


In a few days I'll make a picture book post of them, but until then enjoy the finished squad!


The weapons are all magnetized for versitility.


Above is one of the Tiger Claws from the unit as well!


And here is the as of yet unamed lascanon marine who snapfired a shot while moving at a looming eldar wraithlord, hitting and wounding the mighty monster, facilitating it's quick demise!


Here they are in the display case with brother Amru.



Here's my commitment for next month, Squad Arkash!  I cannot wait to paint them up!



Thanks Jason for putting me and Hadi up and a special thanks to Christina for letting Jason spend the whole weekend with me!  I cannot wait to do something like this again!  Maybe Jason will visit me next time!

Victory Through Unity, Unity Through Brotherhood.

No comments: