Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

...Something like my the 5th "I'm back" Post

Hello again dear friends and reader. As the dust of moving house begins to settle and countless boxes empty their contents into little organized piles, I find myself in the same state that preceded all this order and chaos and order. A familiar yearning for progress, creation, and meaning settles over the vacuum that any big undertaking leaves in its wake. You're so used to being on that relaxation feels vapid.

Now sure, there are many more career minded and productive uses of my time. But nothing seems to strike deep in my core as painting a model or rolling dice with good friends. Over these last few weeks (month?) I have shimmied in a surprising amount of hobby and gaming despite the maelstrom of leases, moving, and making house.

I suppose, in the tradition of good ramblings, I should start at the beginning.



BROS BEFORE SAVING THROWS ULTIMATE FRIENDSHIP AND HOBBY THROW DOWN WEEKEND

Nyle and his brother Hadi came down to the Bay for a weekend of gaming, over eating, and drinking. Our little group had the opportunity to play in almost every form of gaming scenario that we love. We played on gorgeously sculpted cinematic tables at Game Kastle Fremont. We played on awesome game club tables with beautifully modeled scratch built terrain at Endgame. Hell, we even played old fashioned coffee table 40k with shitty household objects for terrain at our buddy Walker's grandma's house!

Here's some hastily taken shots of our games. I was overwhelmed with excitement and often forgot to take pictures as rolled diced and yelled.

The Red Scholars tactically retreat from these asshole Minotaurs

The battle lines closing on each other

An Imperial bunker looms large over the defending Red Scholars and Astral Claws

Two Minotaurs tactical squads emerge from transports and train their sights on these soon to be massacred Red Scholars

The Centurions command the view of the battlefield, searching for another unit to eat

Red Scholars and Astral Claws standing in union

Holding the line
The real cherry on top was The Independent Characters Deep Strike Event at Harry's Hofbrau in San Jose. We ate delicious food, drank strong beers, and hung out with awesome hobby enthusiasts. We even had a white elephant gift exchange! Again, in all the hubbub, I neglected my camera and only managed this shitty, albeit hilarious photo of Nyle and me loosing our shit to nerdy and alcoholic bliss.


The only thing missing from this weekend was our beloved fellow BBST contributor and friend, Stizhammer. We really missed ya buddy but you were there in our hearts.

In summary, the weekend came as soon as it went. I couldn't wait for it to start and I was glad when it ended. But the instant I returned to the routines of "real life" I knew that I had just had one of the greatest times of my life.

Minor Progress

So as I meekly offered as an excuse earlier, moving has taken its toll on my hobby time. However, I am now the proud lessor of my very own home office and studio!  My new command center is up and running. I even got some paint on a marine this very night! Please, you look:

A relic from Games Workshop Metreon lives on

Hobby suplies deployed

Tonight's progress. Still needs a gun and a few finishing touches
Game Played

Oh, I almost forgot- I managed to get in a pick up game with some fine folks down at Endgame this past week! My Scholars teamed up with Vulkan leading his Salamanders. We squared off against a rowdy band of Nightlords, who against all odds, joined purpose with a possibly temporarily possessed Coteaz and Co. 

Vulkan managed to evaporate in the first fusillade of fire he came under. My mighty Centurions were left standing mid field shitting their pants as a Vindicare picked them off one at a time. We also gained an object lesson in how Jokaero ruin days. Suffice to say, the marines were on the verge of being tabled when we sagely called it at turn 4. 

Despite the mighty throttling, a great time was had by all. Thanks again to Nick, Ethan, and Stephen for hanging out with a rand-o and throwing down. Looking forward to rolling dice again with you guys.

No comments: